This cake is a holiday tradition at my house. It’s rich, moist, and filled with coconut and walnuts.
For the cake:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1 small can flaked coconut, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package softened cream cheese
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter , softened
- 1 (1 pound) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped walnuts and coconut for garnish
Cream butter and shortening. Add sugar. Beat until mixture is smooth. Add egg yolks and beat well. Sift together baking soda and flour. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in vanilla, coconut and nuts. Fold in beaten egg whites. Pour in three 8-inch pans or two 9-inch pans and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool and frost.
For the frosting:
Mix together above ingredients. Frost top and sides of cake, garnishing top with reserves coconut and walnuts.