- 1/4 cup bacon grease or cooking oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups fresh or canned tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups fish stock
- 2 cups seafood–shrimp, crawfish, crab, and/or catfish
- 2 cups okra, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup cooked rice
In a large soup pot, heat the bacon grease or oil over medium heat.. Add the flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it turns the color of peanut butter. Add the onion, pepper, and celery to the bacon fat and saute until translucent. Add the tomatoes, and stock, and cook until all the vegetables are tender. Stir in the seafood, the okra, and the rice. Cook for 10 minutes, until the fish is just cooked.
To serve, place into bowls and serve with a mound of rice in the middle of the bowl.
© 2005 Rick McDaniel